Halloween is the perfect excuse to put on your spookiest and wackiest costumes, trick-or-treat until you are stocked up with a lifetime of sweets and try out some pumpkin carving. If you are staying at our Towyn caravan parks or any of our North Wales holiday parks, there are loads of fantastic family friendly Halloween events happening nearby. Before you get started on your pumpkin carving to turn them into Jack O’ Lanterns, check out some fun facts to get you in the mood!
1. It is thought Halloween dates to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. The superstitious Celts would light bonfires and dress up to scare off evil spirits, using animal skins and heads!
2. Jack O’ Lanterns were not originally made from pumpkins! As the holiday event began in Ireland, where there were no pumpkins to be found, the Irish carved turnips for carving their spooky faces. It was done to ward off evil spirits!
3. There is a reason why orange and black are the colours of Halloween, as orange represents the harvest, and black represents the death of summer.
4. The world’s heaviest pumpkin ever recorded was grown in 2013 by Tim Mathison from the United States and weighed 2,032 pounds (over 145 stone!)
5. The word Halloween comes from ‘Hallowed evening’ and old phrase used to describe the day before All Saints’ Day, which is November 1. Now you are loaded up with some fun facts of Halloween, head out for a day of fun with the family!