Food Safety Tips for a Doggy Holiday

Let’s face it, you are pretty likely to indulge in guilty pleasures while you’re on your holidays, and that’s absolutely fine, you are on holiday, after all! However, if you’re making the most of our dog friendly holidays parks in North Wales, enjoying a coastal trip with your four-legged friend then make sure you don’t let them eat anything they wouldn’t normally.

dog sleeping in North Wales

We’ve put together a list of five essential ‘foods’ provided by the Dogs Trust that are considered toxic to your pet, so keep them well away and have a great holiday!

Chocolate

Most people know about chocolate being bad for dogs, but some are unsure why. The sweet treat that’s meant for human consumption contains theobromine which can be lethal – the darker the chocolate the higher amounts of theobromine. Toxic doses vary according to the size of dog and cocoa solid content of the chocolate. You should contact a vet immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate intended for human consumption – especially if you see any of the following symptoms; vomiting, a sore abdomen, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, slow heart rate or convulsions.

Raisins and Grapes

While the exact substance that causes the toxic reaction is not yet known, dogs should never consume grapes and raisins due to the fact that even small amounts can prove to be fatally toxic for a dog. Dogs of any age, breed, or gender may be affected. Grapes and raisins are bad for dogs and can lead to kidney failure.

Onions

The root vegetable can cause anaemia, so should not be fed to your dog in any form.

Small Bones

The tricky parts of cooked food, such as small bones from turkey and chicken are obviously not toxic, but should not be given to dogs because of the risk of become lodged in the dog’s throat or splintering (particularly if cooked), potentially perforating the intestinal tract.

Xylitol

This ingredient, which is a sweetener commonly found in sugar-free foods, has recently been found to be toxic to dogs, so you should keep your pet away from this ingredient. It is important to contact your veterinary surgeon for advice or treatment immediately if you think your pet has eaten any of the above foods and is showing a bad reaction. Your pet may also have a sensitivity or allergy to a food that is not on the list, so always be vigilant and seek help if you are worried about your pet’s health.

Posted in

Leave a Comment