We all know that we tend to ‘relax’ in every sense when it comes to a holiday. And whether you are an adventurer who disappears up Snowdonia with your four-legged friend for enjoyment, or you like to kick back in a deck chair with a cold beverage in your hand on a Towyn caravan break while the pooch sits beside you, chances are you’re going to enjoy all aspects of your time away. We understand this, and we think it’s great to be able to do what you want to do, however you don’t want your dog coming along and doing the same. They’re not quite like us, they don’t know what they can, and can’t eat. So that’s why we need to help them. We’ve put together a list of 5 essential things the Dogs Trust consider are toxic to your pet, so keep them away from the items on the list and we’re sure you’ll have a wonderful holiday! Chocolate Chocolate, unless specifically designed for pets, is meant only for human consumption as contains theobromine, an ingredient that can be lethal to them, but is harmless for us. The darker the chocolate the higher amount of theobromine will be found. Doses that are considered toxic do vary depending to the size of your dog and the cocoa solid content of the chocolate. So what we’re saying here is, don’t intentionally feed your dog chocolate, and if you walk back in the room and they’ve pinched a bar off of the table you should contact your vets immediately. Grapes & Raisins While these fruits are healthy for us they too, can be lethally toxic to a man’s best friend, so therefore you should keep them well out of temptation of the pooch and don’t feel bad for not sharing. Beware of Bones Smaller kinds of bones, those from chickens and turkeys, for example, should be treated with caution. While they are clearly not toxic, they shouldn’t be given to dogs to play with or chew on because of the risk that they could become lodged in their throat or splinter – particularly if cooked – resulting in a potential perforation of the intestinal tract, which would cause a hefty vet bill! Onions The popular addition to a tasty hot dog or burger doesn’t agree with dogs as it can cause anaemia, so don’t be tempted to chuck the odd bit the dog’s way to keep them happy. Xylitol This is an ingredient you may not have heard of before. Xylitol is a sweetener that is habitually found in sugar-free foods, and has been found to be toxic to dogs.Ideally you should take the same food your pet always eats along with you on holiday so that they don’t suffer from the change of location and diet in a double whammy. After all, you want your pet to enjoy their break just as much as you, don’t you?